Saturday, May 8, 2010

One of a Kind; Never to be Duplicated


That was my mom-one of a kind. One of the best kind, in fact. She has been gone now for a little more than five years. I miss her as much today as ever. She was unselfish, peace loving, kind, generous, gentle and Godly. She gave me the best gifts I ever received - my sisters. It is in them that I get the chance to glimpse pieces of her-a wry comment from Nora that sounds just like Mother; a word of caution from Rhonda that makes me do a double take; or, a quick look at Debe and I'm thinking "that expression looks just like Mother!". How blessed I am to have her still with me when I am with them.


If you are so fortunate to have your Mother today-love her, cherish her, forgive her, make up with her, comfort her, give to her, give in to her, but DO NOT take her for granted-DO NOT let petty things get in the way of your relationship-DO NOT make it about you when it should be about her. A life like that will only bring you regrets at the end of her life.


I am honest when I say that I am jealous of women who still have their moms. And, I am brutally honest when I say that I am incensed when I listen to women who still have their moms and don't realize how lucky they are. How dare you dislike, disown or disavow your committment to a living mother when mine is not with me? Sorry, that's how I feel when I hear you complain about her and talk bad about her.


So, for tomorrow-remember that bitterness about ANYTHING is just your emptiness showing.


Love your Mother. Honor your Mother. It's the law!


I love you Nettie Lou Blair Jernigan!

1 comment:

A daughter and a mother said...

I can't imagine life without my mother. My mom is amazing, but unfortunately there are many moms that are not. I teach school, and get to (am forced to) see on a daily basis moms who care more for themselves, their drug addict boyfriends, their parties, etc. than there children. Thank you for sharing. I'm glad that you have such a wonderful mother. And it wasn't an accident I said have - she is still your's, she is just in Heaven. Cherish all the wonderful memories you have of her, and know that one day you will see her again.