Sunday, September 28, 2008

Goodbye to a Gentleman

Paul Newman -my all time favorite actor and celebrity died Friday. Not only was he an amazing actor who was blindingly handsome, he was a generous, charitable soul. If you haven't spent a Saturday afternoon on your couch watching some of his best movies, what are you waiting for? I could recommend several: Long, Hot Summer; Hud; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Cool Hand Luke. I found out recently that there is an entire generation out there who only knows Paul Newman from the label of a salad dressing bottle. Granted, his charity work is notable as his food products alone have generated more than 200 million dollars for philanthropic ventures. But, the label on the salad dressing and spaghetti sauce does not tell the story of the man with the astonishing blue eyes. When he looked into the camera and smiled - well, let's just sigh collectively AHHHHHHHHHHHH! He belongs to a generation and class of celebrities that has no equal in the mix of "stars" we are media-fed today. He came from an era that recognized talent was more substantial than starring on the latest reality show. Scan your cable guide for one of his films. I'm sure they will start playing them in honor of his passing. Watch a few and you will see what I mean. You'll probably end up with a favorite scene or character, like me. My favorite? His portrayal of Brick in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. My favorite scene from the movie? The last five minutes. Watch it.
Go over here to my friend Whitney's blog and join her pinktabulous giveaway! http://glamlifehousewife.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Whitney said...

I saw a thing on Paul Newman the other day on TV and laughed because I thought of your comment on my blog about Hanson. I'm sad he died. He was definitley handsome!