Saturday, March 28, 2009

Don't be jealous!

There are only 16 more days until NG6-my annual retreat with my sisters aka best friends in the world! I am more excited this year than ever before. I don't really know why. Well, maybe because it is the best part of my year every year. I am so blessed to have these ladies in my life.




Let me introduce you to these girls:

There is Nora Mae, who is now the matriarch of our family. She's the one on the left in the picture and the one who made the other two laugh . There is no one I admire as much as her. She is a true picture of grace and perseverance and strength. She has definitely been tried and come forth as gold. When I visit her at her home by the lake in Texas I feel at peace. In fact, Dennis and I tell her all the time that she is our favorite vacation destination. We already have our rooms booked for early August with her. She is home to me. And, more so since Mother and Daddy are gone.
Next is Rhonda Jo, the one in the middle above. She was my little mommie for the first years of my life; well, actually, I tend to think of her that way even now. She was only five or six when I was born yet she took on a role of caregiver to that fat little baby. Stories have been told about her climbing up the side of my crib and getting me out and carrying me to the bed to change my diaper. And, we're not talking disposable diapers. I have always felt safe and cared for with Rhonda. She has a gift for nurturing and I have been blessed to be the beneficiary all my life.
Deborah Jean. Such a fancy name; we just call her Debe. Yes, she's the one with the big mouth laugh above. I think only Mom and Nanny called her Deborah Jean and that usually wasn't a good thing! If anyone got Daddy's gift of speaking and communication it is her. She can deliver a speech or devotion and bring you to tears or laughter alternately in mere seconds. I don't know anyone who can accomplish so much for so many so often. She is a true servant and her heart is sometimes to large for her five foot one frame to handle. If you need it done; need it done now; and need enough for 150-Debe's your gal. Sometimes our sweet Mother would say, "Just listening to everything Debe has to do this week made ME tired!" True. But, if you need her, she's never too busy.
So, now you understand why I said not to be jealous. I would be jealous of me. There is nothing like our times together at NG (Nettie's Girls). It is indescribably, undeniably the best four days of my year every year. I hope God allows us many more together. He has already been so gracious to make us sisters and best friends.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am jealous! A getaway with you 4 ladies sounds wonderful! How can it be time for #6 already?

Melinda said...

Sounds like fun! Where are you going this year?

Amber said...

I know you will have great fun! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Esterbune said...

I still don't understand why Nettie's Girls are treating me so egotistically. Why must you treat sisterless people like myself so stingily? Is it my fault that I don't have a sister? If I did have a sister, and we had "Lavina's Girls," do you think I would be so miserly and greedy as to leave you out? Not on your life!

:)

Hey, it wouldn't be Nettie Girl Season if I didn't harass you about not being invited to your annual get together.

Your sisters are all amazing women. I guess that explains why you are such a remarkable person. Oh how proud your mom would be if she could see the legacy being carried on in her honor.

I hope you have an amazing time with your sisters. You are blessed beyond measure.

dawnvon said...

i'm jealous too! i would love to have that many sisters that i could spend a few days with and hang out and be refreshed. you're so blessed!

Lori said...

Have fun!!! I have loads of fun with my sister, so I know I'd be excited too :-)

keely said...

i tagged you!