Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Just a corner. That's what I want.

I love to read. And, I have been doing a lot of it lately. I have a stack of books, recently purchased, more than a foot tall that I cannot wait to tackle. Today I started thinking about designing a reading nook or corner for myself. I want a little place where I can sink down into a comfy chair, a table beside me for my cup of hot tea, and read uninterrupted. I have a few possibilities for location. We have a large master closet. Really large-it used to be a room. There is a window and just enough space for a chair if I choose that space. There's always the front porch, but it is a little chilly right now for that. Maybe that little corner in the kitchen. Or, the open space in our bedroom. The possibilities are there. It's just getting it all together and making sure everyone knows that is my corner.

Since I was thinking about corners and comfy and reading and such I thought I would post a few pictures.

Here is my husband, Dennis, with my sister's grandsons, at her house on Thanksgiving. A big chair and a lap and someone to read is all they needed!



A picture dear to my heart-this is my dad, Wade, in his famous "office". Oh, he had a little office just through that door over his shoulder. But, his chair and the TV trays on either side worked just fine for him. Mail was sorted, correspondence was answered, magazines read and sermons written from that chair. This is a classic picture for my sisters and I. We miss him.


An overstuffed leather couch at Aunt Rhonda's and cousin Holly's attention was all Katie needed a year ago on Thanksgiving. I think Nathaniel wanted to read this page.



There is no more peaceful place than my sister Nora's home. This is a little spot in her front yard. I have lazily enjoyed a few hours reading on her porch.



This is one of the many beautiful spots in our back yard,compliments of my husband. He is a self-taught, wonderfully talented landscaper. This is a good place to flip through a magazine or watch the sun come up reading my Bible.


So, now I have to decide on a spot in my house and start collecting all the elements for the best little reading corner you're ever seen. If you're nice I'll post pictures.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am loving reading right now. We should have a book club. I really missed class tonight. Dustin and I have both been miserable with colds. I've been under a blanket on the couch for 2 days. Miss you.

LAKERFAN55 said...

You can have treehouse all to yourself! I can run an extenson cord so you can have electricity. All I have to do is build you a ladder. Let me know and I will be all over it!

Pappadaddy

Whitney said...

I vote for the tree house. AWESOME! :) hahaha. Looking forward to seeing your creation.

Pleasant Living said...

Beautiful pics! good luck finding your special nook!

Erin said...

Mmm, cozy corner with a book. Just add some soft rain and a warm fire and you've described the perfect day! ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, friend ... how I wish I would get back into the habit of reading again! I love to read, but when I don't have a writing assigment I seem to veg out in front of the TV with HGTV or Food Network playing. I'm sure you'll find just the right spot. Just make it comfy so you'll always want to go there!

Anonymous said...

I love that picture Of pawpaw wade! i stole it and its going into sadie's photo album. We miss him too.